A fluid coupling or hydraulic coupling is a hydrodynamic or ‘hydrokinetic’ device used to transmit rotating mechanical power.
It has been used in automobiletransmissions as an alternative to a mechanical clutch. It also has widespread application in marine and industrial machine drives, where variable speed operation and controlled start-up without shock loading of the power transmission system is essential.
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development
Can fluid drive couplings handle both angular and axial misalignments simultaneously?
Yes, fluid drive couplings are designed to handle both angular and axial misalignments simultaneously. The hydrodynamic principle used in fluid drive couplings allows them to accommodate misalignments between the driving and driven shafts in multiple directions.
Angular misalignment occurs when the axes of the driving and driven shafts are not perfectly parallel. Axial misalignment, on the other hand, refers to the misalignment of the two shafts along their common axis. In many real-world applications, both types of misalignment may exist.
Fluid drive couplings utilize a hydraulic fluid film to transmit torque between the impellers (pump and turbine) of the coupling. This fluid film creates a flexible and lubricating barrier between the impellers, enabling them to rotate independently of each other. As a result, the coupling can accommodate angular misalignment by allowing the impellers to tilt and follow the misaligned shafts’ angular positions.
Simultaneously, the fluid film also permits axial movement between the impellers, allowing the coupling to compensate for axial misalignment. When axial misalignment occurs, the fluid film cushions the impellers and permits axial displacement to occur without excessive stress or wear on the coupling.
The ability of fluid drive couplings to handle both angular and axial misalignments is one of their significant advantages over rigid mechanical couplings. Mechanical couplings, such as gear couplings or rigid couplings, are more sensitive to misalignments and may lead to premature wear, vibration, and increased stress on the connected machinery in case of misalignment.
However, it is essential to note that while fluid drive couplings can tolerate a certain degree of misalignment, excessive misalignment can still lead to reduced performance and increased wear over time. Regular monitoring of the coupling’s condition and addressing any significant misalignment issues is crucial to maintaining optimal performance and ensuring the longevity of the fluid drive coupling and the power transmission system it serves.
Where to Find Reputable Suppliers or Manufacturers of Fluid Drive Couplings
If you are looking for reputable suppliers or manufacturers of fluid drive couplings to meet your specific power transmission needs, there are several places you can explore:
- Industrial Trade Shows: Attend industry-specific trade shows and exhibitions that focus on power transmission, fluid power, and related technologies. These events often feature numerous suppliers and manufacturers showcasing their products and solutions.
- Online Directories: Utilize online industrial directories and sourcing platforms that allow you to search for fluid drive coupling manufacturers. Websites like Thomasnet, Alibaba, and GlobalSpec can be helpful in finding suppliers from around the world.
- Manufacturer Websites: Visit the websites of known fluid drive coupling manufacturers. Many reputable companies provide detailed information about their products, technical specifications, and contact details.
- Engineering Magazines and Publications: Look for advertisements and product listings in engineering magazines and publications that focus on mechanical power transmission and fluid power technologies.
- Referrals and Recommendations: Seek recommendations from colleagues or industry experts who have experience with fluid drive couplings. They may be able to suggest reliable suppliers based on their own positive experiences.
- Consulting with Distributors: Contact industrial distributors or local suppliers specializing in power transmission components. They often work with multiple manufacturers and can guide you to suitable fluid drive coupling solutions.
- Online Search Engines: Conduct a thorough online search using specific keywords related to fluid drive couplings and power transmission. This can help you find suppliers in your region or globally.
When considering potential suppliers, take into account factors such as their reputation in the industry, product quality, customer reviews, technical support, delivery times, and pricing. Request product samples or technical data sheets to ensure the chosen fluid drive coupling meets your specific requirements.
Remember to evaluate not only the product itself but also the supplier’s reliability and ability to provide excellent customer service and after-sales support.
How do fluid drive couplings accommodate misalignment and protect against overload during operation?
Fluid drive couplings are designed to accommodate misalignment between the driving and driven shafts, as well as provide protection against overload conditions during operation. The key mechanisms that enable these features are as follows:
- Misalignment Accommodation: Fluid drive couplings utilize a hydrodynamic principle to transfer power between the driving and driven shafts. The hydraulic fluid within the coupling creates a fluid film that separates the impellers (pump and turbine) of the coupling. This fluid film allows the impellers to rotate independently of each other and provides some level of misalignment accommodation. As a result, the fluid drive coupling can tolerate small amounts of axial and angular misalignment between the shafts without causing excessive wear or damage.
- Slip Mechanism: In fluid drive couplings, the impellers are designed to slip relative to each other under certain conditions. During start-up or when the driven shaft encounters a sudden overload, the fluid drive coupling allows a controlled amount of slip between the impellers. This slip absorbs the excess energy and prevents shock loads from transmitting to the machinery. The slip mechanism acts as a protective feature, preventing damage to the coupling and the connected components in the power transmission system.
- Overload Protection: The slip mechanism in fluid drive couplings also serves as an overload protection mechanism. If the load on the driven shaft exceeds the coupling’s capacity, the impellers will slip to prevent the driving shaft from stalling and absorbing the excessive load. This overload protection prevents damage to the power transmission system, providing a safety measure against sudden and unexpected overloads.
- Gradual Torque Transmission: Fluid drive couplings offer gradual torque transmission, especially during start-up. As the driving shaft accelerates, the hydraulic fluid transfers torque to the driven shaft smoothly. This gradual engagement helps reduce shock loads on the system, protecting the machinery from excessive stresses and ensuring a longer operational life.
By incorporating these design features, fluid drive couplings enhance the reliability, efficiency, and safety of power transmission systems. The ability to accommodate misalignment and provide overload protection makes fluid drive couplings suitable for various applications, where mechanical flexibility and safety are essential requirements.
However, it’s important to note that while fluid drive couplings offer misalignment accommodation and overload protection to a certain extent, excessive misalignment or continuous overload conditions can still lead to premature wear and reduce the coupling’s overall performance. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the fluid drive coupling’s condition are necessary to ensure it continues to operate optimally and contributes to the efficient functioning of the power transmission system.
editor by CX 2023-08-08